Traveling on a Foreign Passport for Israelis in Israel

Israel Travel Document – How to Travel on a Foreign Passport

If you made aliyah less than a year ago, or your israeli travel document is about to expire, you can still travel on a foreign passport. Click here to learn how.

You can get one-time permission to travel on a foreign passport by visiting the Population and Immigration Authority. Full guidance can be found online and regularly updated.

Lesse Passe

Lesse Passe is a form of foreign passport that is issued to Israeli citizens whose primary residence is in Israel. This document, which differs from Darkon in that it has a red cover instead of a blue one, can be replaced by a new one for a period of 10 years once the individual returns to his or her historical homeland.

Currently, Israel does not allow citizens with Lesse Passe to enter the United States without a visa. However, the country is working to change this policy and is seeking admission into the Visa Waiver Program for countries with a high level of security, which would enable its citizens to travel to the United States for 90 days without obtaining a visa.

According to a representative of the Israeli Embassy in Ottawa, if an Israeli citizen loses his or her Lesse Passe abroad, he or she should report this loss to an Israeli embassy or consulate and be provided with a replacement document upon his or her return to Israel (Response to Information Request ISR14338, 16 Nov. 1994).


Israeli passports are navy blue, featuring the state emblem in the center and written in Hebrew and English. They are machine-readable, with all information appearing on the first page (excluding a cover letter).

The bearer of an Israeli passport can travel throughout the world without any visa restrictions. Some countries do not recognize the Israeli passport as a valid travel document, however, and may refuse entry to any person who possesses an Israeli passport.

The country of Darkon has a temperate climate, but tends toward extremes in its weather. It has scorching summers and harsh ice storms during winter, with brief but pleasant springs and autumns. It also possesses an ecosystem rich in flora and fauna. The official religion is the Eternal Order, a hierarchy that worships the dead and enforces strict discipline among its followers. The government is ruled by an oligarchy headed by the Minister of Interior, who must swear allegiance to a High Priest in order to retain his position.

Temporary Passport

If you find yourself in a situation where your passport has been lost, stolen or destroyed while traveling abroad and need to travel urgently, you might be eligible for a temporary passport. These are issued by a country to its citizens who are abroad and have no other way of returning home.

The duration of a temporary passport varies between countries. It is usually valid for only one trip and must be replaced with a new normal passport when it expires.

In most cases you will have to appear in person at an Embassy/Consulate to file the request. You will have to present your identity and citizenship documents in addition to the required passport photos. The Embassy/Consulate will assess each request on a case by case basis. Proof of urgency is necessary, such as a travel itinerary and reasons for travelling. If you cannot attend in person please contact the consulate by e-mail to describe your circumstances.

Emergency Passport

Getting an emergency passport is the fastest way to travel overseas, but you must meet certain criteria to qualify. Applicants must submit a passport application, a prepaid airline ticket and proof of citizenship. Applicants must also pay the same government fees as those who apply through routine processing.

If you need to travel urgently, you may qualify for an emergency passport if one of your immediate family members has died or is critically ill. The state passport office will need to see documents to verify the situation, such as death certificates and mortuary statements. These documents should be certified by a credible institution and bear official letterheads. If the documents are not in English, you should have them translated by a reputable service.

You can apply for an emergency passport at your local regional passport agency or through a private expediting company. The latter is the best option because you don’t need to make an appointment at a nearby office and can get your passport in as little as 24 hours.

Go Home